MAN AGED 32 DIES FROM ELECTRIC SHOCK WHILST CHARGING HIS IPHONE IN THE BATH

The coroner has issued a warning about using charging devices whilst bathing which can be as dangerous as using a hairdryer in a bathroom.

Richard Bull from Ealing in west London was pronounced dead by paramedics in his home on December 11th 2016.

The 32 year old man was discovered by his wife Tanya, laying dead in the bath. His injuries were so severe she thought he’d been attacked.

The coroner has issued a warning about using charging devices whilst bathing which can be as dangerous as using a hairdryer in a bathroom.

Recording a verdict of accidental death, Dr Sean Cummings said: ‘These seem like innocuous devices but can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom.

“They should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone.”

Mr Bull was apparently  getting ready to go out and meet family members to exchange gifts for Christmas when the tragedy happened.

Image credit: Facebook


PC Craig Pattison told the inquest at West London Coroner’s Court how he found the extension lead running from the hallway outside into the bathroom.

“We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath,” he explained.

PC Pattison said he ruled out suicide at the scene.

“We received a dispatch call from control saying they were contacted by Mrs Bull wife. She was upset, having returned home to find her husband was dead inside the bath tub.”

“There was some confusion about an electric extension cable in the bathroom leading out from the hall. When we arrived the ambulance service was there. They told me they had unplugged an extension lead, but that they could do nothing further as he had already sadly passed away.”

The extension lead had been run there to charge Mr. Bulls mobile phone.

“The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.”

Dr Cummings said: “The post mortem revealed burn marks on the right arm and the chest occurring as a result of electrocution. There were also burns on the right hand.”

It was agreed that it was a tragic accident.

Mr Bulls mother Carole said: “I have worried that so many people and especially teenagers, that can’t be separated from their phones, don’t know how dangerous it is.”

What do you think?

4 points
Upvote Downvote

Total votes: 4

Upvotes: 4

Upvotes percentage: 100.000000%

Downvotes: 0

Downvotes percentage: 0.000000%